Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Cooking with Split Chicken Breasts

It is true that the 1st time I ever cooked a split chicken breast was just last week! I have always been a total chicken snob (I blame my mother) but my frugality got the better of me when I saw them on sale for only .88/lb. at Apple Market a few weeks back.

In my quest to figure out what to do with these things I happened upon $5 Dinners.com. I loved her post about split chicken breasts. I could totally relate to her story and I loved her idea!
So today I am encouraging you to take a peek at her post HERE because I thought it was great!

I didn't end up using her recipe because I found it after the fact, but my chicken still turned out pretty good. I cooked 5 breasts total and ended up with enough chicken for 3 meals. I could have had more but pulling cooked meat off the bone was grossing me out... not gonna lie! I am sure I will get better with time:)

The recipes I will be using my chicken for are Cheesey Chicken and Rice Casserole, Chicken Tortilla Soup and Chicken and Noodles. Now you may have noticed that I don't have a link for the chicken and noodles recipe. That is because I don't have a good one. If you have you want to share please feel free to do so!

5 comments:

blaireruch said...

My mother-in-law had a tradition that every Monday night she would serve "Monday Night Chicken".
My husband and sister-in-law looked forward to this meal every week. Her recipe actually uses the split-chicken breasts as the entree. It is super easy and super frugal.

Monday Night Chicken

Split-breast chicken (white meat with bone; one piece per person)
Butter or margarine
Lemon-pepper seasoning

Put a pad of butter on each piece of chicken; sprinkle with lemon-pepper seasoning. Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour. Serve over rice with broth.

:)

Blaire

Lisa said...

I don't have a recipe in writing, but I've made chicken and noodles several times and it always turns out good. I use the Reames home style frozen noodles, chicken broth, carrots, celery, onion, and of course, the chicken. I add some salt and maybe a dash of pepper - really depends on your preference. For amounts (on the vegetables), I just try to use what I feel is appropriate for the batch I'm cooking. We like to eat our chicken and noodles over mashed potatoes. Yum!

Kate and Dennis said...

I second what Lisa said; I don't have a chicken & noodles written down either, but mine is pretty much the same as Lisa's. To make mine a little easier, I usually buy the chopped onions in the freezer section and throw in those rather than chopping my own. Also, depending on what I have on hand, I've made mine with chicken broth, or just water & chicken bouillon cubes. The Reames noodles are by far my fave.

Spectacular Expo Events said...

I just had to say this post cracked me up! Hope you enjoy cooking with "chicken on the bone" more! LOL!

Em said...

Shannon, we appreciate your honesty! ;) I was totally there a year ago but couldn't get OVER how cheap whole chickens/split breasts can be! I'm not sure how you've prepared yours, but the past few times, I have put the entire package of split breasts into my dark metal 9x13 roaster pan (brownie pan), I rub on top of and under the skin some Lowry's salt or any seasonings, a little water to cover the bottom of the pan and bake (roast) them for one hour at 350* F. It smells great in the house and is similar to rotisserie chicken. Then I take the time to peel off the skin and shred the chicken. This week I got really brave and shredded it with my fingers--I was amazed at how much quicker it was! :) You don't get any of the 'free broth' that way, but I think it has WAYYYY better flavor than if you boil them, although that's a little faster method.