Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Brushetta Chicken Bake: Price Break down


I found this recipe in the Fall 2008 Kraft Food and Family magazine. You can also access it online here. Below you will find the price breakdown for this recipe. The prices are based on what I paid for the ingredients in recent weeks. The price will always vary depending on the sales, but I think you will find that all around this meal is very inexpensive to make and so GOOD!

Ingredients you need: Serves 6
  • 1 can diced tomatoes=.35 (I used Hunts that I got at Dillons a few weeks back)
  • 1 package of stuffing mix for chicken=.79 (I used Aldi brand)
  • 1/2 cup of water=FREE
  • 2 cloves of garlic=.10 (1 head of garlic is less than a dollar so I am guessing here )
  • 1.5 pounds of boneless skinless chicken breasts=1.56 (I only used 1 lb. and I got 3 lbs on sale a few weeks back for 4.67)
  • 1 tsp. dried basil leaves= ? pennies maybe
  • 1 cup of mozzarella cheese=.75 (I used Kroger brand. I got a 4 cup bag for 2.99 a few weeks back)
Total for this meal=$3.55! If you break it down by serving it is only .59 a serving!

Because this recipe is from Kraft they are going to suggest that you use their products such as Kraft cheese and Stove Top stuffing mix. These products are very high priced because of the name brand value. Unless you can get them cheaper than the off brand I suggest not buying them because it can be a budget killer! I think you will find that this recipe tastes just as good with the off brand products.

No comments: