Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Stir Fry and Recipe breakdown:

This is my real simple not so organized version of stir fry:)

Chicken Stir-Fry (feeds 3-4)
  • 2 chicken breasts cubed (about 1 lb.)=1.99 ( if you buy the bagged kind)
  • little olive oil
  • 1/2 of red bell pepper (Aldi 3 pack of colored peppers =2.68 so 1/2 of 1 pepper=.45
  • 1/2 of green bell pepper=.45
  • 1/2 of yellow or orange bell pepper=.45
  • handful of baby carrots sliced (1lb. bag =.99 at Aldi my guess that a handful=.20)
  • 1 yellow onion=.19 (a 5ct. bag at Aldi is usually around .99)
  • about 3 tbsp. of teriyaki sauce=pennies
  • about 1 tbsp . of soy sauce=pennies
  • salt and pepper for seasoning=pennies
  • 2 cups of cooked rice=.25
Cube, season and cook chicken and cook in olive oil until white on all sides. Add in veggies and sauce and cook until chicken and veggies are done. Put over rice.

This is seriously my own made-up recipe and it unfortunately shows:) I just cook it so it tastes good:)

All together this meal costs about $4 to make or $1 per serving. You can add in other veggies if you want. This is the simple most cost effective way that included some variety of veggies that I knew to do. I freeze the other half of the peppers to use in stir fry again or for other meals I plan to make.

No comments: