Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Cheesy Penne Bake Recipe

When I had Levi this summer my aunt made us this awesome pasta dish. She is an incredible cook and often makes things up so forgive me if this recipe isn't exact. This is what she told me she did. I have made this a few times myself and it is a hit!

Cheesy Penne Bake: Serves 6

1lb. Penne Pasta =FREE for me:) (I got this free at Dillons) or you can pay $1 at Aldi
1 8 oz bag of Mozzarella or Italian 5-cheese blend cheese=$1 or less if you coupon:)
1 4 oz tub of Gorgonzola cheese=$1.79/1 (Private selection brand price at Dillons... cheapest I have found)
1 cup of FRESH Parmesan cheese (I use the bagged kind and I have a stockpile of these in my freezer from Hy-Vee .99/1 sales!)=.50 (you can also buy a wedge from Dillons for like $4 and it will last FOREVER!)
1/4 tsp salt=pennies
2 tbsp. butter=pennies (maybe .20 cents)
2 tbsp. flour=pennies
1 c. milk=.25
Pepper to taste

Cook pasta according to pkg. directions and drain. Make a basic white sauce. See how to do that here. I then add in the Gorgonzola cheese and Italian cheese blend and let it melt into the sauce. I add in my pasta and coat evenly. I then transfer to an 11x8 baking dish (2 qt. will work also). I sprinkle the top with the Parmesan cheese. I bake at 350 for about 25 minutes or until bubbly.

Over all this costs me under $4 to make or only .67/serving.

Notes: I tend to make a little more sauce than called for... so I multiply the sauce recipe by .5 for a little extra. I also find that you can put bread crumbs or cracker crumbs on top with the Parmesan cheese and then put little dabs of butter just for extra flare:)

I'll post a pic after I make it tonight:)

No comments: