Tuesday, October 13, 2009

What did I buy this week

I thought I might try and start posting what I buy (food) every week to give you an idea of how I shop and how I make it on a $50/week budget. I find that I usually don't buy much to make the meals I have planed because I already have what I need. I am usually just stocking up on items for future meals and getting fresh produce for the week. So I am going to post what I bought this week, with a link to my menu plan so you can see what I needed and what I already had on hand for what I made. Clear as mud?

I only shopped Dillons and Aldi this week:

Dillons:
  • 10 Green Valley Steamers at 1.99/1=19.90
  • 3 24 oz blocks of Kroger cheese (this will last a long time!=3.99/1=11.97
  • 1 bag of Flour=$1
  • 1 bag of sugar=1.88
  • 1 bag of brown sugar=$1
  • 1 gallon of Milk=2.59
Total before coupons=38.34
  • -$3 for buying 3 24 oz. blocks of Kroger cheese
  • -$5 for buying 10 participating mega items (the Steamers)
  • -8 .50/1 Green Valley steamer coupons=-$8.00
  • -2 .40/1 Green Valley steamer couopns=-$1.60
  • -$8 in catalinas from the Pillsbury Deal
New total=$14.20 after tax

Aldi:
  • 1 bag of tortilla chips=.99
  • 1 16 oz. pkg. strawberries=1.99/1
  • 1 2lb. tub of red grapes=2.68/1
  • 1 tub of sour cream=.88/1
  • 1 bag of Gala apples=1.19/1
  • 1 bag of Granny Smith apples=1.19/1
  • 1 sleeve of celery=1.19/1
  • 1 16 oz. bag of baby carrots=.99/1
  • 1 package of broccoli=1.69/1
  • 1 quart of yogurt=1.59/1
  • 1 bottle of Ranch dressing=1.15/1
  • 1 bag of Caesar salad marked down to .99/1
Total=$18.00 after tax

Believe it or not I already had most of what I needed to make my dinners for the week which you can see here. For lunch we are having left overs, PB&J or meat and cheese sandwhiches with fruit and veggies. For breakfast we are eating cereal, homemade muffins I have frozen or yogurt and fruit.

For this week I only spent about $32 OOP. I needed to stay under $40 since I over spent last week stocking up on cheese from Hy-Vee:) You will find that I fluctuate from week to week in what I spend, but usually I stay under or right at the budget for the month.

2 comments:

Em said...

Hey! I really like this type of post. If you have the time, I'd enjoy seeing it on a more regular basis! Thanks!

Lisa Babcock said...

I like this sort of post too. Thanks for sharing. Great job on the deals too!