Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Sausage and Broccoli Pasta Bake

I found this great recipe in All You magazine but I have changed it to fit my budget and what I already have on hand. In the magazine it is called Baked Ziti with Broccoli and Sausage, but I am not using Ziti so I just changed the name to fit what I want to call it:)

Sausage and Broccoli Pasta Bake: Serves 4
  • 8 oz. Italian sausage (I picked up 1lb rolls (16 oz) on clearance for 1.49 a while back)=.74
  • 8 oz. Penne ( 1lb. box at Aldi (whole wheat even) is only 1.09/1)=.55
  • 1 large head of broccoli stems removed (1 got a package with one large head and 1 little one at Aldi this week for only 1.69/1)=1.25
  • 1/2 cup grated Parm cheese (I got bags 80z . bags of shredded parm for only .99/1 at Hy-Vee's 6 hour sale last week)=.25/1
  • 2 cups of Milk=.40 maybe?
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 2 tbsp butter (1 got 4 quarters for 1.68/1 at Hy-Vee a few weeks back)=.10
  • 2 tbsp of flour=pennies
Cooke sausage in large skillet until no longer pink. Add butter and stir well. Sprinkle flour on top and stir 1-2 minutes. Slowly pour in milk and cook stirring constantly until smooth and thickened for 3-4 minutes. Season sauce with salt and pepper. Cook penne noodles (or whatever you use) until tender then add broccoli and cook for 3 minutes. Drain pasta and broccoli and transfer to baking dish (says to use 11x7). Stir in sausage mixture. Sprinkle the parm cheese on top and bake until golden brown and mixture is bubbling, or about 25 minutes.

MMM! I can't wait to make this tonight and see how it turns out! This dish will only end up costing me a little over $3 to make or only .75/serving!!!!

No comments: