Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Salsa Chicken Recipe and Price Breakdown

We LOVE this recipe. It quickly became a huge family favorite! I originally got this in one of my coupon packets I received from Nestle Good Start when I was pregnant with my 1st a few years back. They have since taken this off of their site.

Salsa Chicken: Serves 4
  • 2 cups cooked white or brown rice (bag of white=.99/1 at Aldi) 2 cups=.35 cents ish:)
  • 1 tbsp veggie oil=.15 cents maybe?
  • 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast halves cut into strips or cubes (3lb. bag of frozen breasts =5.99/1) 1 lb.=1.99
  • 1 medium onion chopped (I buy these in bulk bags of 6 for 1.70 at Aldi)=.30
  • 1 small red bell pepper chopped (if you wait long enough you can get these for $1 or less when they go on sale at Aldi or Hy-vee)=$1 or less
  • 1 cup bottled chunky salsa (I use Aldi off brand can of rotel)=.49/1
  • 1/2 cup shredded Mexican-blend cheese (I never pay more than 1.70 for a 2 cup bag)=.43 cents
Heat oil in large skillet over med-high heat. Add chicken, onion, and bell pepper; cook, stirring ocassionally for 10-12 min. or until chicken is no longer pink. Stir in salsa and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and sprinkle with cheese. Cover and let stand for 5 min. Serve over rice.

This whole meal costs around $4.75 to make or only $1.18 a serving!

No comments: