Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Q&A

I had a reader email and ask the following question:

"I was wondering if there was any kind of program in the Topeka area for wholesale type buying. There was a group in Phoenix called Bountiful Baskets that purchased direct from suppliers of grocery stores and restaurants with contributions from area shoppers who then ended up with a bi-weekly supply of amazingly inexpensive various produce items that filled a laundry basket."

I am unaware of anything like this, but then again I do not know everything:) So I thought I would ask all of you super smart readers what you might know. If we don't have something like this in or around Topeak do any of you have any good suggestions for starting something up?

Thanks and I hope you all had a great weekend... as you can tell by my lack of posts ours was BUSY!

3 comments:

Wyatt said...

This may be a little different, but area churches in Manhattan promote Angel Food. For $30, people can get the equivalent of a laundry basket worth of food - they say 2 weeks of groceries for a family of 4. These type of programs usually require an hour or two of volunteer service. Maybe church's in Topeka do something similar. We buy Angel Food and it's made a big difference in our grocery budget.

MarthaH. said...

I know our church here in Topeka participates in Heartland Share, which sounds identical to Angel Food. Also, at one time there was a group of moms I knew who participated in a "produce co-op" here in Topeka. I think they went through Miller Produce ... does this sound familiar to anyone? I don't know if they are still doing it or not.

Wyatt said...

Yes, Heartland Share is the same type of thing - just a different organization that runs it. We did that for awhile too, but I think the church in Manhattan that ran the program stopped it for some reason.