Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Taco Soup Recipe and Price Breakdown:

This is the recipe I use for Taco Soup. I got if from my mother-in-law and I am sure it is not much different from others.

Taco Soup: Feeds 6-8 (more likely 8)
  • 1 pound ground beef (I never pay more than 1.99/lb.)=1.99
  • 1 large onion, chopped= .30 cents if you buy onions in large bag at Aldi
  • 1 can kidney beans=.59/1 at Aldi
  • 1 can whole kernel corn, drained=.49/1 at Aldi
  • 1 can stewed tomatoes - Mexican style=.49 at Aldi
  • 1 can Rotel tomatoes=.49 at Aldi
  • 1 pkg. taco seasoning mix -(opt.) (I use my own made up seasoning)=.30 cents
  • 1 pkg. original hidden valley ranch dressing(dry) (Kroger usually has theirs on sale 5/$3 wihch makes these .60/1)
  • 2 1/2 cups water or more, to make soup broth=pennies
Brown ground beef and onions in a large pan, drain off fat. Add remaining ingredients and simmer for an hour or so. I like to serve with corn bread (.33/package that makes 6-8 muffins at Aldi)

Altogether (including corn bread) this meal costs me around $5.50 to make or only .70-.90 a serving!

No comments: