Loaded Potato Soup: Serves 10
- 5 lbs. russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes (5 lb. bag on MS for .99 at Dillons)
- 1/2 c. butter (1 stick) (I use margarine. I got 1lb. on sale for .49/1 so 1 stick=.12)
- 1 c. half/half (I got a pint on MS for .60/1 so I cup=.30)
- 1/2 c. sour cream (Aldi 16 oz. sour cream is .99/1 so 1/2 cup=.24)
- salt and pepper to taste (pennies)
- 8 oz. (half package) of bacon cooked and crumbled (I got 1 lb. packages of Oscar Myer on sale for $1 so half package=.50!)
- 6 green onions sliced (1 bunch at Dillons=.79)
- shredded cheesse (considering this feeds 10 people I would say 2 cups should be plenty. I got a 2 cup bag on sale for 1.77 at Dillons)
Put cut up potatoes into slow cooker (crock pot) and add just enough water to barely cover the potatoes. Cook on high for 5 hours. After 5 hours (sometimes it only takes 4.5 hours for potatoes to get done) turn slow cooker to low and add butter, half and half, sour cream and salt/pepper. Cook on low for 20 minutes. Stir in bacon and onion and serve or keep on low. After soup is served put enough cheese in for your liking.
Since this meal feeds so many we usually freeze half of this and eat it for another dinner or have company over to share with us. I also usually cut up the potatoes the night before, put the in the crock pot, cover with water and store in the fridge until the next day. This just helps my morning be less busy.
Price configuration: This whole meal cost me $4.72 and it feeds 10 people! That would be about .50 a serving! Serve this with a side salad and fresh homemade bread and this meal is sure to be under $10!