Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Homeade Applesauce

I often times can find 3 lb. bags of apples marked down to a $1 at most of our local Dillons. When I do I usually use these to make applesauce since quite a few of the apples might have some bruises.

Homemade Cinnamon Apple Sauce (this is the smaller version that I usually triple)
  • 4 medium size apples ( I have used all kinds and think it tastes great every time)
  • 3/4 c. water
  • 1/4 c. sugar
  • How every shakes of cinnamon you want (probably 3-4) (leave out if you want plain applesauce)
I simply peel, core and cut apples into quarters. I then combine them in a big enough pan with the water, sugar and cinnamon and cook on medium heat until the apples are soft (about 20 minutes or so). I put the apples and remaining water into a blender or processor and puree it.

I store my applesauce in an air tight container in the fridge. I have found that the applesauce stays good for quite a while.

Most often when I make this recipe I triple it since there are about 10-12 apples in a 3lb. bag. I figure this actually makes about 2-3 big jars worth. So considering 1 jar of applesauce can cost around $1.50 making your own apple sauce can save you money!

No comments: