Thursday, April 2, 2009

Getting Control of The Grocery Bill Part IV

You can also see this post on TopekaKidsRock.com! Be sure to visit there today for a list of all the fun things happening around Topeka this week!

Getting Control of The Grocery Bill Part IV

Coupons. What more can I say? These little money savers have helped me save a TON of money! I purposely saved this post for last in my series because using coupons can be quite overwhelming when you first start. While using coupons is not something you HAVE to do it is something I suggest that everyone look into.

Why Use coupons?
If you have certain products you are going to buy no matter the cost, then why not use a coupon? For instance if you only buy Tide, then clip that $1 off coupon and save yourself a $1! Do I need to explain further?

Where to get coupons:
Coupons are pretty easy to come by these days. The easiest place to get them is in the Sunday paper. Here in Topeka you have 2 main options of papers: The Topeka Capital Journal or the Kansas City Star. Both of these papers usually contain at least 2 coupon inserts. These are called "Smartsource" and "Red Plum". The first Sunday of every month there is usually a 3rd insert called the "P&G Brand Saver."

You can also print coupons from on-line resources. Two of the post popular are coupons.com and smartsource.com. There are actually about 10 sites I print coupons from. To see those please visit my blog The Grocery Weekly and scroll down to the header "Coupon Sites". There you will find an array of places to print coupons from.

Which ones do I clip?
Which coupons you clip and how many is up to you. I personally clip them all and organize them in a big black binder filled with baseball card holder pages. Others clip them and put them in envelops. Some just clip the coupons they know they will use and wait to use them. For organizing options see the post on my blog about this here. There is no one right way, it is just important that you find out what works for you.

Where will I use them?
You can use coupons at just about any place that will take them. Most major grocery/drug store retailers in Topeka accept them. Some of those places include: Dillons, Hy-Vee, Walmart, K-mart, Target, CVS and Walgreens. There are others out there too.

This is a pretty brief overview of coupons. If you want to know more about using coupons I invite you to explore my blog for more infomration. Another blog I have always found helpful when using coupons is Money Saving Mom.

Well that is it for this short series "Getting Control of the Grocery Bill." In the coming weeks I will be sharing many other helpful hints and tricks I have learned when it comes to saving money. If you have questions or comments I can be reached by email at thegroceryweekly@gmail.com

Happy Thursday!

No comments: