Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Easy Meatloaf Recipe and Price Breakdown

I know my menu plan says I am making egg salad tonight, but I am having a craving for this great meatloaf recipe a friend gave me!

Meat Loaf: 1 loaf, serves 4
  • 1-1.25 lbs. of ground beef ( I never pay more than 1.99/lb.)=1.99
  • 1/2 tsp. salt=pennies
  • 1 egg (I got mine on sale for .79/dozen a few weeks ago)=.07
  • 1 tbsp. onion flakes=pennies
  • 1/2 sleeved crushed saltines (1 box at Aldi=.99 for 4 sleeves)=.12
  • 1/2 c. catsup=maybe .20?
Mix Well and form into loaf shape. Spread catsup on top of loaf and bake at 350 for 1- 1.25 hours.

All together 1 loaf only costs about $2.50 to make or about .62 a serving!!!

I plan to served either baked sweet potatoes or regular potatoes with this tonight along with some steamed veggies- YUM!

1 comment:

Maria said...

That is fairly similar to a recipe I use. I form mine into meatballs - the kids like that form better. I try to make a double batch and put some unbaked meatballs in the freezer for another meal.

Also, for my sauce I combine Ketchup & mustard - sometimes I even add a bit of brown sugar.