Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Hamburger Potato Casserole

That is what I call this great "cheap" meal that quickly became a family favorite after a good friend made it for dinner one night. There is no set recipe and I literally watched her make it and then just have stored the recipe in my head:) To the side I have put the usual price I pay for the ingrediates. At the end of the post you can see a price breakdown.

Hamburger Potato Casserole: Easily feeds 6 more
  • 1/2- 1 lb. ground beef (I think she used 3/4 because that is what she had) (I use 1 lb.=1.99)
  • 1 can cream of mushroom soup (.45/can at Aldi)
  • about 8 0z of sour cream... give or take (16 oz tub is .99 at Aldi so half would=.45/8 oz.)
  • about 2 lbs. of potatoes (at least 3-5 good sized ones) cut however you want really (I prefer to slice them in full circles) (10 bag is around 3.50 currently so 2 lbs.=.70)
  • Shredded cheese (maybe 1-2 cups) (I always buy cheese for .88 or less per cup. I only use 1 cup in this recipe=.88)
Brown the ground beef and season as you wish. While beef is cooking, bring the potatoes to a boil in a separate pot. The goal here is to cook them until fork tender, but not completely done. Drain both potatoes and ground beef. Combine them with cream of mush soup and sour cream in a 9X13 baking dish. Cover with foil and bake at 350 for 30 minutes, or until potatoes are done. Uncover and sprinkle with cheese and continue baking until cheese is melted.

I usually serve this with a veggie and some bread. If you want you can always mix in your veggie (green beans are the best option- canned) with the other ingredients and bake them in the casserole. This works well for picky eaters because you don't really taste the vegetable.

The total price to make this meal=4.47 or .75/serving!

Enjoy!

4 comments:

$5 Dinner Mom said...

Yeah for price breakdowns! Way to go! Yummy eats at your house this week!
Erin

Briana's Bargains said...

This looks like a good recipe! I'm going to try it! :)

Love the price break down! You might consider coming to my site tomorrow and posting it on my Under $10 meals! :)

Michelle' said...

We have revival at our church this week and I was wondering how I was going to get dinner in before services. This looks so easy to throw together. I am making this tonight - just pulled the hamb meat out of the freezer and I already have all the other ingredients on hand. I am also going to sprinkle parmesean cheese on top towards the end of cooking - thanks for the great idea!

Rena said...

I'm going to try this. It sounds easy and tasty.